We believe that people thrive in a supportive, engaged, and dynamic community.
The Skokie Community Fund was established in 2010 by a small group of Skokie residents to foster this ideal in Skokie through meaningful giving, collaboration, and community programming.
The Skokie Community Fund (the Fund) is committed to building this lasting community resource by:
- Seeking out and partnering with donors and community builders who share our vision for Skokie
- Creating awareness of the Fund as a new community resource and a secure place to donate
- Building the endowment of the Fund for future opportunities
- Constantly updating our knowledge of Skokie so that we can help create the change that Skokie wants
Just for Skokie
In 2011, the Fund strongly supported the Village of Skokie’s annual Community Giving Program by offering to match up to $10,000 in donations after $25,000 had been collected. The community generously responded with $35,000, which allowed the Fund to provide the full match. As a result of this joint effort, $45,000 was distributed to Skokie families who qualified for assistance. The Fund continued to demonstrate community support by offering matching grants in 2012 and 2013.
In June 2014, the Fund formed a steering committee and announced its inaugural grant cycle which sought collaborative proposals for capacity-building and program grants. In November, five, $5,000 grants were awarded to nonprofit organizations who collaborated to provide services to Skokie residents that ranged from consumer benefits counseling to seniors to high-quality childcare for the children of single parents while the parents participated in job-readiness training.
In June 2015, the Fund announced its second collaborative grant cycle in order to build upon the many successes of the first grant cycle.
Thanks to generous donors, the Fund has a $27,000 endowment. Our goal is to grow the endowment so that the Fund can award meaningful grants with increasingly greater positive impact for Skokie.
We invite you to help us build a fund that is a true support for and reflection of the rich, diverse community of Skokie.
- What is your vision for Skokie?
- What do you think is going well in Skokie that would go even better with more support?
- What do you think is an underserved issue in Skokie that would benefit from more attention and support?
- Please tell us about something or someone that the Fund needs to know about.
The Skokie Community Fund is a proud affiliate of the Evanston Community Foundation (ECF). Here’s why this is good for Skokie:
- All donations to the Fund are tax-deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law.
- The Fund’s operations are streamlined, which maximizes the endowment’s ability to grow.
- The Fund can grow more quickly by leveraging the established investment policies and performance that ECF has honed over the past 25 years.
The Fund is able to maintain a singular focus on Skokie and to seek input from a locally selected advisory committee.