We believe that people thrive in a supportive, engaged and dynamic community.
The Skokie Community Fund was established in 2010 as a fund by a small group of Skokie residents to foster this ideal in Skokie through meaningful giving, collaboration, and community programming. In 2017 the Skokie Community Fund became the Skokie Community Foundation.
The Skokie Community Foundation (the Foundation) is committed to building this lasting community resource by:
- Seeking out and partnering with donors and community builders who share our vision for Skokie
- Creating awareness of the Foundation as a new community resource and a secure place to donate
- Building the endowment of the Foundation for future opportunities
- Constantly updating our knowledge of Skokie so that we can help create the change that Skokie wants
Just for Skokie
In 2011, the Fund strongly supported the Village of Skokie’s annual Community Giving Program by offering to match up to $10,000 in donations after $25,000 had been collected. The community generously responded with $35,000, which allowed the Fund to provide the full match. As a result of this joint effort, $45,000 was distributed to Skokie families who qualified for assistance. The Fund continued to demonstrate community support by offering matching grants..
The Fund formed a steering committee June 2014, and announced its inaugural grant cycle which sought collaborative proposals for capacity-building and program grants. In November, five, $5,000 grants were awarded to nonprofit organizations who collaborated to provide services to Skokie residents that ranged from consumer benefits counseling to seniors to high-quality childcare for the children of single parents while the parents participated in job-readiness training.
In June 2016, the Fund announced its third collaborative grant cycle in order to build upon the many successes of the previous grant cycles.
By 2017 the Fund began the reorganization to form a 501c3 and the Skokie Community Foundation was created at the same time as the 2018 grant cycle was announced.
Thanks to generous donors, the Foundation has a $70,000 endowment. Our goal is to grow the endowment so that the Foundation can award meaningful grants with increasingly greater positive impact for Skokie.
We invite you to help us build a fund that is a true support for and reflection of the rich, diverse community of Skokie.
- What is your vision for Skokie?
- What do you think is going well in Skokie that would go even better with more support?
- What do you think is an underserved issue in Skokie that would benefit from more attention and support?
- Please tell us about something or someone that the Foundation needs to know about.